Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Staying in Pittsburgh

I can trace my relatives back 12 generations. I can trace my husband's family 6 generations. On each side I can follow for 150-200 years without having to leave Western Pennsylvania.

This is one of my favorite treats of my research. I can visit neighborhoods of my great-great-great-great grandparents by driving 45 minutes (in Pittsburgh we measure distance in minutes).

Hopefully soon I can process my application to the Western PA Genealogical Society to help further this treat and the research assistance it can offer.

Recently I was able to find record of PA Supreme Court ruling in 1895 in which the PA railroad sued to contest my 4th great grandfather's will over a tract of land in what is now West Elizabeth. I hope to use this information to determine more about him, as he is my brick wall.

I was disturbed to learn today of The Great Fire of 1845 that destroyed 1/4 to 1/3 of Pittsburg (before the H!). I consider myself to be an architectural history buff, a history nut and a native Pittsburgher. How did I not know of this fire? What is wrong with education in this country?

But I digress. What will I discover from PA Railroad v. Pearsol et. al? We shall see!

1 comments:

Gini said...

Welcome Kelly Jeanne, I look forward to reading your posts on your blog.