Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

In my family tree I have 2 veterans, that we know of. My 3rd-great-grandfather, Francis Blair Pearsol, was a Sergeant in the Civil War. My grandfather, John Phillip Ivan Sokol fought in Italy in WWII. I thought when I was younger that he fought in the Pacific during that war, as he gave me coins from the Philippines that became the start of a small coin collection. It wasn't until after his passing that I read in his obituary that he fought in Italy. I never thought to ask him. I should ask my mom or my grandmother. Eventually WWII records will become public and I will be able to learn more.

John Sokol was the youngest child of John Ivan Mark Sokolvich and Anna Agnes Harto, born 05 March 1927 in Hiller, Fayette County, PA. He had 4 older sisters, Helen, Pauline, Marion and Margaret. His first wife, Doris, is my grandmother. His second wife, Millie, was my step-grandmother but the closest person to a grandmother I have in my memory. John Sokol passed away 24 August 2002. Grandma Millie died in 2006.

Aunt Margaret is now 90 years old. I had the opportunity to introduce her to my son last fall.


Aunt Margaret is pictured here with her son, my mom, my aunt and my son.

My grandfather died when I was away at college. He was the reason I started into genealogy, but I didn't ask him enough questions before it was too late.

Here are excerpts from his obituary. (living people removed) I miss you, Grandpap. I'm sorry I didn't take the time to know you better...

John P. Sokol, 75, of Carmichaels, Pa., died Saturday, August 24, 2002, at 2:10 p.m. in the Uniontown (Pa.) Hospital.

He was born March 5, 1927, in Hiller, Fayette County, Pa., son of John Sokol and Anna Harto Sokol.

John was Catholic by faith.

He was a Coal Mine Construction Worker retired from Greer Limestone Company in Morgantown, West Virginia.

He served in the United State Army in Italy and was a member of American Legion Post 423 and V.F.W. Post 4584 both in Masontown, Pa.

On September 13, 1974, he married Mildred Christopher Sokol, who survives.

Also surviving are two daughters: -- and her husband, --, Apollo, Pa., and --, Beeper, Ohio; two step children: -- and her husband, --, of Waynesburg, Pa., and -- and his wife, --, of McMechin, West Virginia; 13 grandchildren; several step grandchildren, great grandchildren, and step great grandchildren; sisters: -- and -- both of Masontown, Pa., --, Uniontown, Pa., and --, Franklin, Tennessee; one step sister, --, Pittsburgh, Pa.; a brother, --, Charleroi, Pa.; many nieces and nephews.

A brother, Richard Sokol, a sister in infancy, Agnes, and parents preceded him in death.

The Family will receive Friends in the PAUL MICHAEL LESAKO FUNERAL HOME INC., 204 Dowlin Avenue, Carmichaels, Pa., today from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. and Tuesday, August 27, until 11 a.m., the hour of Service with Rev. Fr. James Bump officiating.

Entombment will follow in Greene County Memorial Park Mausoleum, Waynesburg, Pa., where Full Military Honors will be accorded by V.F.W. and American Legion posts.

0 comments: